But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tomorrow Is Not a Promise...

The last couple days have been a bit of a blur to me. I received news on Monday that the grandma of the twins I babysit for was missing. Yesterday I got news that she had been murdered and buried in her own backyard. What devastating news. I can't explain my extreme sadness for this family that I am so very close to. Their grandma was a very young 55 years old.

As I have prayed for them in the last 48 hours I have found myself extremely grateful for those around me. The Lord reminded me tonight that tomorrow is not a promise. I think about my parents especially and this was the first time I realized that they won't be here forever. My loved ones could be gone tomorrow. Anything can happen. We all figure that we're going to live long prosperous lives, but where in the Bible does God say that? I feel this urgency to make sure that I let those around me know how much I love them. Tomorrow is not promised to us.

I am listening to a song by Carrie Underwood called "Temporary Home" and these are some of the lyrics...

"This is my temporary home
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know this is my
Temporary Home."


This home on earth is just temporary. We're just passing through. My home in heaven is eternal. Any day God could call me home just like he did Deborah Stone this past week. I'm not afraid because I know where I'm going...do you?

3 comments:

  1. I do know where I'm going. :)

    Michael W Smith has written a song called Welcome Home, with the same premise. This Earth is not our real home. It is difficult for us when someone dies but for them (if they knew Him) they are finally able to hear their Heavenly Father say, "Welcome Home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am so sorry to hear about Deborah. Such tragic news. I'll be praying for your family and for Deborah's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She didn't know the Lord. But my prayer is that in those last moments of desperation and pain that she called out to the Lord and was saved. We will never fully understand Gods grace.

    ReplyDelete